An exciting new role has arisen for an experienced catering professional to join a nursing home in Selly Park, Birmingham.
Broadening Choices for Older People has supported older people living in Birmingham since 1946. First founded by leading social workers with the assistance of volunteers, we’ve always supported the older people of Birmingham. We operate nursing homes, supported living schemes and independent living schemes across the breadth of the city.
We place people at the heart of everything we do, are committed to protecting choice and independence and adapting to our residents needs. No matter what their role, every member of staff works together to provide the best possible support for our residents. We’re seeking an experienced and committed care professional to become a Cook at Neville Williams House, Selly Park Birmingham.
As Cook, you will be assisting the Head Chef/Cook, and in the absence of the Head Chef/Cook the postholder will have responsibility for the overall management of the catering provision at this scheme, including the supervision of other kitchen staff.
- To be conversant with all BCOP Policies and Procedures, with particular regard to:
- Fire Regulations
- Code of Confidentiality
- The Health & Safety at Work Act
- Statutory Training Courses
- To prepare and cook nutritious and varied meals for the residents, taking account of special dietary needs, religious and cultural requirements, and personal choices.
- To supervise the work of other kitchen staff, including identification of their training needs, and to recruit in conjunction with the Head Cook new staff, when appropriate.
- In the absence of the Head Cook to order all necessary products and foodstuff.
- To adhere to all BCOP Policies and Procedures.
- To ensure that all food, health and hygiene regulations are adhered to including the completion of all required documentation.
- To work a flexible shift system to ensure adequate staffing for the kitchen.
- To participate in staff meetings, training and supervision.
- Any other duties as required.
The above is an indication of the main areas of responsibility of the postholder. It is not an exhaustive list of duties which may be required from time to time.
This job description may be changed to meet the needs of the Home and the residents.
This post is subject to satisfactory enhanced disclosure.
This role would suit a self-motivated and organised candidate, an active team member who is able to work on their own initiative. The ideal candidate will have a Nutrition qualification (essential) and Food and Hygiene qualification (desirable). The successful candidate will have at least two years expereince working in a commerical catering environment. The candidate will be familiar with cooking for a large number of people, budgeting and ordering and menu planning (essential), and the candidate will be familiar with working in a nursing/residential home setting with Health & Safety knowledge (desireable).
What you need to succeed in this role:
- Able to communicate with older people
- A good communicator
- Professional personal appearance and conduct
All staff are required to respect the confidentiality of all matters they might learn in the course of thier employment.
As well as a competitive salary other benefits of working for BCOP include:
- Free on site car parking, with good links to public transport network
- 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays. Increasing to 29 days after 5 years’ service (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Free health insurance
- Free Life Assurance scheme
- Workplace pension
- Flexible on site working
For any questions or to apply for the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application.