An exciting new role has arisen for an experienced housing professional to join our team at our Support Office, Kings Norton.
Broadening Choices for Older People has supported older people living in Birmingham since 1946. First founded by leading social workers with the assistance of volunteers, we’ve always supported the older people of Birmingham. We operate nursing homes, supported living schemes and independent living schemes across the breadth of the city.
We place people at the heart of everything we do, are committed to protecting choice and independence and adapting to our residents needs. No matter what their role, every member of staff works together to provide the best possible support for our residents. We’re seeking an experienced and committed housing professional to join our team as a Housing Officer.
Working collaboratively as part of a committed team that puts the customer first by delivering an outstanding housing management service across several defined properties, you will contribute to the day-to-day service by undertaking a range of tasks to ensure the safe operational management of our care and support services.
We are seeking a candidate with experience of working in housing management. You will have previous experience of positively resolving incidents, queries and questions with excellent customer service. You will have a working knowledge of housing law and benefit systems.
Deliver an Allocation & Letting Service:
- Liaise with external stakeholders to deliver an effective referral pathway into the service/properties
- Ensure occupancy targets are met, through lettings and refurbishment of empty properties in line with the scheme’s re-allocation procedures
- Allocate properties ensuring customers meet the criteria, affordability and required landlord checks
- Meet with customers to provide practical support with setting up a new tenancy, ensuring all documents are complete and liaising with external stakeholders if required
- Show new customers the accommodation and communal amenities, clearly communicating tenant responsibilities and compliance to enable them to fulfil and maximize their tenancy
- Visit new customers to make sure they are settling into their accommodation and are being supported to follow their tenancy agreement
Deliver a Housing Management Service:
- Be responsible for ensuring empty properties are referred to Asset colleagues for void works, following the void procedure to ensure rooms are ready-to-let
- Report and monitor the delivery of reactive repairs within properties to ensure they are maintained and health and safety compliant
- Produce/complete tenancies and explain requirements to new customers, manage all tenancy issues and complete appropriate records to enable the resolution/termination of tenancies where appropriate
- Liaise with contractors and colleagues around planned maintenance programmes, ensuring that on-site delivery is well coordinated and in line with customer requirements
- Undertake day-to-day housing management duties, ensuring high standards of cleanliness are maintained within services and that rooms are prepared, ready for site inspections
- Respond to arrears in a timely way, writing to residents as soon as arrears occur, with clear breakdown of any HB owed – whilst clarifying ultimate responsibility of the debt, creating repayment plans with the resident and supporting them to meet their obligations. Where all support action has failed, to proactively progress to issue notices as applicable.
- Proactively support customers experiencing issues that may put their accommodation at risk; where appropriate issuing warnings and Notices to Determine/Quite or Notices of Seeking Possession (NTDs/NTQs/NSPs) in consultation with Housing and Charitable Services Manager and in line with the tenancy requirements.
- Prepare files and case notes in readiness for court
- Deliver a tenancy sustainment advice service to support customers to maintain their accommodation, e.g. claiming correct benefits
- Work directly with customers to monitor or reduce issues of anti-social behaviour within the service
- Meet regularly with customers to discuss ways to improve their accommodation, promoting involvement and consultation on matters impacting their housing
- Ensure the safety of our customers by recognizing and acting on any risk by following local safeguarding procedures and escalating appropriately
- Monitor and assist in maintaining health and safety requirements standards
Deliver an Administration Service:
- Carryout administrative tasks to support efficient running of the service
- Produce reports and other written documentation as required to support housing management delivery
- Maintain and update clear, accurate and strength-based records on the appropriate digital platform
The successful candidate will be required to work flexibly to meet the customer and business needs, some of which may be outside normal office hours. You will be required to travel to different properties within our portfolio as and when required, and similarly, adhere to our Lone Working system when applicable.
You'll need to deliver your role in line with BCOP customer values, ensuring customers are safe at all times, carrying out all of your duties within BCOP's Policy and Procedure framework e.g. health & safety, safeguarding, dignity at work, GDPR.
The post-holder will undertake regular training and take responsibility for their continuous development. This is not an exhaustive list of duties and from time to time you may be required to undertake additional duties and responsibilities in consultation with your Line Manager
The ideal candidate will have the following essential attributes:
- Experience of working within house management
- Be an empathetic, flexible and caring team player with a resilient, can-do attitude
- Previous experience in positively handling and resolving customer queries, concerns and incidents
- Demonstrate initiative and confidence to make and act on decisions
- Competent administration and IT skills - producing regular reports and other communications
- Full driving licence and access to a car
The ideal candidate will have the following desirable attributes:
- Knowledge of current benefit systems
- Knowledge of housing regulations
- Experience of working in challenging enivornments with the ability to plan, prioritise and organise tasks to achieve results
- Experience of working within a care and support environment
This post is subject to completion of a successful enhanced disclosure check.
As well as a competitive salary other benefits of working for BCOP include:
- Free on site car parking, with good links to public transport network
- 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays. Increasing to 29 days after 5 years’ service (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Free health insurance
- Free Life Assurance scheme
- Workplace pension
- Flexible on site working
For any questions or to apply for the role, please email your CV and a Covering Letter of no more than two pages, outlining how you meet the requirements of the role. Please send this to email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application.